About My Interest in Psychology

There are a few branches of psychology that seems interesting to me. Research, Forensic, Biopsychology/neuropsychology, and school psychology are all branches that peak an interest for me but I feel that I am being led to is Addictions Counseling which is a substance abuse counselor for both for youth and adults. The topics that are studied within that branch relate to addiction and substance abuse including triggers, family group and individual counseling modules. They will learn how to help a person put back the pieces their life by identifying reason for abuse in the first place. It is said to be a family disease so if willing, the counselor will help the family to become unified again.

There are many ways to enter this field. Some states only require a certificate to begin working in the field but it is recommended to have at least Bachelor's and these days best to have a Master's degree in the field especially to be a counselor. A Bachelors degree you can have various jobs including rehabilitation aid, counseling aid, or social services worker.You will also need to complete several hours of supervised training in a clinical setting once formal education is finished.

The jobs related to this field include recovery coach, Counselor, Clinical Supervisor, working in the treatment center setting, private practice, and hospitals. Some counselors with a Masters can move into the clinical supervisor and administrator roles as well as research jobs. Places that counselors can work in this field are multiple settings ranging from private practice, hospitals, detention centers, schools, and education.

The salary for these positions have great range depending on location in the US, education and actual position. With a bachelors it can range from 35,000 year to 45,000 year and with a masters the high side of income could be up to 65-70,000 as a clinical director.

The significance of this field for me is that I have experience in the addiction world. I was an alcoholic for around 20 years of my life. I have been in different types of treatment centers from traditional methods, faith based and a recovery community style setting. I have attended meetings, know the twelve steps, and have done the deep work required to move from addiction to recovery. I have had trouble with law in the form of DWI's so I also know the legal sides of things as well. I have wanted to open a recovery center, non-traditional, faith based and one that incorporates the importance of nutrition and massage therapy along with the recovery. Learning to put Jesus Christ at the center is the most important thing for me since I know that is truly what changed my life around. I have studied, on my own, for several years the way the brain works, its chemical make up, and what is affected by addiction as well as the foods and supplements that help an addicted person recover as well as just what we need to do for basic good health. I have held jobs since I was 18 as a cook/caterer and I am a licensed massage therapist since I was 18. I would like to take my love of cooking and incorporate it into my recovery center by having a small cafe that can support the recovery center as well as give the participants a place to work when they get to that point in the program. This center would be not like most but I believe after having been in different places my approach would be successful. There is a place in Smithville, Texas called Serenity Star that does a lot of what I would like to do. I spent two weeks there once and I loved what they did but their beliefs in the spiritual aspect was very different from what I believe and it made it difficult for me to be there. However, the community they have built is great and much like I would love to do. They have a cafe that is open on the weekends that the residents work at and the money raised through the donations from the patrons go back into the program because the program is free.

I also believe this is a good field for me because I can help the loved ones who are watching their loved one who is an addict go through the process. My neighbor has a son who is 14 and has been struggling with addiction for two years. I have spent a lot of time with her being a shoulder to cry on but also to help her know what boundaries to set, what her son is really saying behind all the walls, and many other things that have helped he run her journey. She does see a professional counselor and she usually comes back to me saying that I said a lot of what he did. She has told me repeatedly that I would do great in this field and have a way of delivering hard truth in love. I also have experience working at faith based recovery center here in San Antonio called Grace House. It is the same model of the place I was at in Corpus Christi were I finally got sober. It is a nine month faith based rehab that is Christ centered and non traditional but has had much success. I was the house supervisor and helping the women work through their issues as they arose during their stay was part of my job. It has been the best job I have had still to this day. Being able to help others was very rewarding and helped my recovery in the process.

I truly believe God has called to this type of work. Exactly where and how it will all take place only He knows. I love to speak and share my testimony as well as teach and have the opportunity to do that in various settings. I want to help adults but I also have a huge heart for youth since I started drinking at 15. I want to help young people before they choices they make while they are young propel them into a lifetime of addiction. I am grateful and blessed at what my life has become now and I believe my life experience will be an asset to my working in this field.



*Info on salaries and job listings found on a website entitled Learn about a career in addictions.


Comments

  1. I loved reading your blog Nicolle. Truly inspirational. You have not only helped readers learn about the field of addictions studies but also by shedding light on your journey, you have helped this area receive life! Passion in the career choice is vital, and going through each word in your blog I can see it! You will be successful. Keep rocking!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

M2 Task - Teen brain vs. Adult brain

Personality